Volunteering is a challenging and rewarding experience. Volunteering also gives you a chance to meet new people, share your knowledge, experience, and skills. You can also learn new skills, and have access to unique behind-the-scenes opportunities. A few times a month or a few times a year, whatever time you can give, we look forward to meeting your needs. Fill in our form Volunteer Form PDF
Opportunities include, but are not limited to:
Workshop Leaders and/or Speakers
Gift Shop Coordinators
Building & Maintenance Helpers
Special Events Assistants
Special Event Committee Members
Victorian Christmas Decorating Assistants
Assist summer staff with day camps and ghost walks
Compile mailings to members and important contacts
Deliver flyers for events/ workshops/ lectures
Help set up, serve as a maid and clean up from Victorian tea parties
We also have student volunteer opportunities that can be used to get the 40 hours of volunteering required for high school graduation.
We would welcome students at our Trivia Night to collect score sheets. Students are always needed to help with all events taking place during the summer which include Victorian Teas, Ghost Walks, Summer Camp and greeting visitors at the Museum. Our student volunteer form PDF can be accessed here.
Volunteers come in many different forms, and we are thankful for all of your efforts!
SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BILLY BISHOP MUSEUM, A NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
MUSEUM ASSISTANT (35 hours/wk)
$14.25hr/16 weeks (Dependent on grants - grant restrictions apply)
The Museum Assistants positions will assist in developing and implementing exhibits/displays, events and education materials. They will welcome visitors and provide tours and help catalogue artefacts.
For more information, please visit our facebook page:
The successful candidates will have completed at least one year of a post secondary degree and will be going back to school in History, Cultural Studies, Museum Studies or Education; directly related experience will be an asset. The individuals should be able to work with the public, volunteers and be computer literate.
To be eligible, students must:
• be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and,
• be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
• be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW
• be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory ()
We are an equal opportunity employer. We like to thank all who have applied for these positions but only those who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Those interested in applying for these positions should forward a complete resume with cover letter to the address listed below no later than 5:00 pm Monday, March 29, 2021.
Billy Bishop Museum
948 3rd Avenue West
Owen Sound, Ontario